Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Latest Phobia

Okay, so I keep hearing about how bedbugs are the latest plague.  I gave this a bit of thought whilst we are on our road trip, inspecting sheets and pillows for any sign of the little blood suckers.  I felt pretty good about the fact that I saw no obvious signs of bedbug (is this one word or two?  I'll just switch back and forth to be half right) activity, I'm not a hotel room fan by any means and am always semi-grossed out by the idea of a hotel room and what activities may or may not occur there.  But bedbugs are in a whole other realm of grossness.  Apparently they are nearly impossible to get rid of, in fact, even moving doesn't work because they just hitch a ride to your new abode and continue to terrorize.  Ugh.

After the fact, I am doing some blog surfing and come across the fact that there is actually a Bed Bug Registry.  This is good, except when you find that one of the hotels you stayed in on your trip had a bed bug report in this very registry.  Namely the Flamingo Hilton.  Figures.  It only had one or two reports, not a lot for such an enormous hotel, but enough to cause me to FREAK OUT.  Crap.  We are getting ready to paint our bedroom so this gives me a reason to tear everything apart looking for the aforementioned signs. 

I looked up all the other hotels we stayed at and am pleased to announce that none of them had any reports attached.  My dilemma now is that Mike stays at a lot of hotels on his work trips, some not so nice.  Now I will have to have him check every hotel he is even thinking about checking into on the BBR to make sure he isn't bringing home any more boarders than we already have.  Mot to mention than now I have another thing to think about at 3:00 in the morning, along with motorcycle accidents, alcohol poisoning, job loss, teen pregnancy, cellulite, bills, blah, blah, blah.

Here's the scarier part...if you pop in Seattle as a location it throws back a lot of hotels with bed bug reports, including the Arctic and the Edgewater.  Gah.  It's just a matter of time.

No comments: