Monday, October 11, 2010

Another Happy Birthday...

Having five children means lots of birthdays.  I have a little bit of an April cluster, I have no idea why but three of my five were born in April.  There is another mini-cluster in the Fall, Grace is September and Samantha is Today!  Happy 23rd birthday Tammy Teetower! 

I think that no matter how many children one gives birth too, the event is indelibly and forever burned into your memory.  I can conjure up that moment in a flash.  Sam's birth was my first and was the most difficult, they used forceps back then and she was facing the wrong direction.  After a long, exhausting, 26 hour labor she was pulled and twisted out of my body with the use of a medieval torture device.  She was also my most difficult newborn, colic was our life for 10 weeks, non-stop crying for 4 hours every night.  It would start as soon as her dad got home from work, she would turn bright red and scream, and then it would stop as quickly as it started, exactly 4 hours later.  She didn't take to gaining a sibling too well, she really liked being an only child and welcomed newborn Drew into our house by promptly peeing on the floor even though she was fully potty trained.  Potty training restarted and it took months to get back to trained.  She really taught us.

Sam has had her fair share of issues, 2009 was a horrific year for her and us, but we got her back and she's is working hard to rebuild her life, credit, and relationships.  She confounds me at times, but she is a great girl.  Sweet, fun, and she cares about those she loves.  Little kids love Sam most of all, that speaks volumes to her sweet spirit and sense of humor.  I'm proud of you Sam, I love you!!

Sam and I picked up Liv at the airport on Thursday night for her whirlwind weekend visit.  It was bittersweet, it was fast, it was fun, it was over too quickly.  She requested her favorite meal, chicken pot pie, for dinner on Friday night, but was to busy to fit in any other dinners.  She had lots of friends to see, she had the Husky game on Saturday, lunch with her dad on Sunday, a little bit of homework sprinkled here and there.  But, we did get in some time shopping and lunch on Saturday and baking cookies to take back with her.  I was worried that the separation would drudge up the whole separation sadness, and it did, not like the first time but I'm really feeling her absence again.  Six weeks until Thanksgiving.  :-).

No comments: